Monday 21 September 2009

Curtains now in place, but how to pull everything together?





Three swags and one tail have now gone up so I am starting to see the effect. I am quite pleased with my efforts, considering it's the first pair of curtains I have made. There are some defects. The fringe is causing some puckering in two of the swags because I pulled the thread too tight.

The bigger issue now is how to pull the whole colour scheme together. The gold of the silk is brighter and yellower than the ochre of the woodwork, cornice and gold of the picture frames, and the current rugs, cushions, furniture table lamps etc are still a bit of a mess. I think I need to reinforce the gold colour of the silk eg by use of cushions and lampshapes. I also need to choose a fabric for a chaise longue I bought at auction and which is at the restorers.

What should this be upholstered in?


Interior decorating is hard to get right.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Nigel! It's looking absolutely superb! The curtains are magnificent, you should be really proud of that.I love that room, it makes a fantastic statement.
    There are some really lovely gold lampshades around, but do you know Angelo's lighting in Turnpike Lane? Don't be put off by the Turnpike Lane bit, he sells really sumptuous stuff and hugely expensive chandeliers. He has a service whereby lampshades can be made to your specific instructions. You could even get some of the same green fringe built in.
    To me, the problems with the colour scheme in the room are in the rug and the ceiling particularly . Would you consider a very watered down green ceiling in the same tonal range or at least a golden white? The white's a bit stark. I'd go for a plain gold rug and move that lovely one elsewhere. Your chaise is gorgeous, I'd go for gold damask velvet, or a stripe, with the stripes differing shades of gold. I'd try to mirror the intensity of the yellow you chose for your curtains - there are a lot of golds out there, I'd try to keep it that same bright shade. Three cushions made in your curtain fabric, and one in your sofa fabric, and some in that same shade of green will do wonders for pulling it all together.
    And to triple the wow factor of the room, declutter and have just a few well placed objects.
    These are just my thoughts, interior choices are a very personal thing of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see how you've picked out the cornice in a contrasting colour - lovely. Do you know anything about the historical precedent of that? I ask as I'm about to do mine tomorrow!! I was planning on matching it to the other woodwork.

    ReplyDelete