Sunday 30 August 2009

Updating to digital photography


Starting this blog prompted me into upgrading to a half decent digital camera. The one I have bought seems fiercesomely complicated however. I have counted at least 22 different buttons and switches as well as a menu screen offering scores of barely comprehensibe options.

For my 21st birthday my father bought me my first proper camera, a Pentax K1000. Over the years I have added various lenses and bought another body, a Pentax MX - a very sweet little thing - all second-hand.

Rather than abandon this kit I thought I would look for a digital camera which would take my old lenses. A friendly chap in a shop in Tottenham Court Road pulled out a K20 model added an old lens clicked a few buttons and said "this is what you need - it's as easy as that". Costing more than I had budgeted for I said I would think about it, but I was back two hours later and bought it. I have always been a sucker for good salesmanship.

That was Thursday afternoon. After many fruitless hours with the manual I was still none the wiser about how to get it to work with my old lenses. Finally on Sunday evening I abandoned the manual and turned to Google. Sure enough, the solution was out there on the net.

When I bought a digital camera for my son, who was then 12, I handed him the manual and said "its important you read this first". "Don't be ridiculous Dad" was his reply as he flung it across the room. He switched it on, fiddled with the menu buttons and was away within a minute.

I dont doubt that I have bought a good camera, and with a degree in engineering I should be capable of mastering it, but the road ahead doesn't look like an easy one. Maybe I should just hand it over to my sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment